Recruitment is not an easy job to do. A lot of people’s efforts and hard work involves in hiring a good candidate among 100’s prospective candidate’s data. BrightSpyre is a recruitment body who offers its clients with services of job posting, job shortlisting, head hunting and Database search. The selection process for recruiting an ideal candidate involves a number of steps and it could vary from organization to organization but basic steps for recruitment remains the same.
Steps involved in Recruitment process are:
- Decision is made as to whether recruitment is necessary.
- Job Description is prepared.
- Specification is prepared
- Plans are made on how and when to advertise
- Applicants are shortlisted
- References are requested.
- Candidates are invited for interviews and selection tests
- The successful candidate is offered the job and signs the contract of employment.
One of BrightSpyre client “Jin Technologies Private Limited” gave us a project for a year to hire prospective ideal candidates for them. In that recruitment process BrightSpyre got successful in getting few ideal candidates hired for Jin Tech company. But number is not just a thing here, here we talk about the hard work and efforts involved in the hiring process. We want our readers to get benefit from our experience. Several tips is going to be discussed in the proceeding paragraphs and by following and adopting those tips and traits in yourself, a fresh graduate can have more chances to get in any organization.
BrightSpyre was assigned with a task of hiring the ideal candidates for ‘Software Engineer, IOS Developer, Software Support Engineer, PHP Developer, CSE for both senior and junior roles. In a year of 2018, we received more than 500 CV’s for above mentioned positions from Islamabad and Multan. The data base for these Cv’s were maintained through both Open Expo organized in different universities of Islamabad and through direct application on Brightspyre. Out of these Cv’s more than 255 candidates were shortlisted according to the position’s requirements and upon candidate’s qualification and profile whereas only 255 candidates reached for initial interview and test.
At the end very small number of candidates were hired based on their qualification, experience, position based test, soft skills, ability to work as a team player and individual member, confidence, behavior, attitude , adjustment in office environment , and consistency towards any job.
The reason why most of the candidates are unable to reach the next level of selection process is their poor performance in test and poor performance in interview questions related to the subject. One should be fully prepared of the subject he/she applied for, and he should read the full job description before applying to the job and appearing for interview. In this way, he can have better understanding of the subject related questions he could be asked about and job based test. A well prepared candidate have more chances to get shortlisted for further selection process as compared to the candidate who goes for interview with a blank mind.
Few of the reasons that why candidates are unable to reach at placement level are;
- Late arrival to interview and not informing about late coming
- Good at communication but poor at test.
- Good at test but poor in communication
- Good at test and communication but bad attitude and behavior.
- Can’t justify and explain their university’s Final year project.
- Not good at team player or in individual capacity.
Few of the other reasons upon which candidates were rejected despite of having good qualification, profile, and initial test & interview are candidate’s soft skills, attitude, over confidence or lack of confidence, bad mouthing about previous employer, checking watch and phone during the interview and not paying attention to the interviewee. Another trait that matters in interview is candidate’s personal appearance and CV format. One should be dressed professionally and be neat and well groomed, your body language and sitting posture should be appropriate and you should deal with the nervousness appropriately.
There were only few candidates who were reached at placement level. The traits that made them hired are:
- Good at communication skills.
- Good technical knowledge about the subject.
- Answering question right to the subject related questions.
- Good and confident attitude and behavior.
- Good team player and can perform well in individual role.
- “Can Do” attitude”.
- Can justify and explain their university’s Final year project.
- Ability to adjust in an office environment.
There are many reasons behind the small ratio between selected candidates and prospective applicants. Some university students are hired like hot cakes because these university students are strict at teaching their students about punctuality, working under pressure, meeting deadlines, presentation skills and group and individual assignments.
Findings of our case study about our client concluded that
- Universities are not giving training to their students upon soft skills of Interview.
- There are only few universities and institutes in Pakistan who have Student counseling department in their institution.
- Universities should organize workshops/seminars and train their students upon the skills needed for interview teach them about best attitude with best practices.
- Candidate should read the Job description and Company profile before appearing for the interview.
- Candidate should have technical knowledge about the Job.
The survey was conducted by Assistant Manager HR Cogilent Solutions Miss. Zile Marryam. You can reach her on linkedin.com/in/zile-marraym-b27449104 .
Miss. Nudrat Wajiha Janjua is M.Phil. International Relations scholar from National Defence University, Islamabad. She is working at Cogilent Solutions as Marketing and Sales Executive. You can reach her on email@example.com .
7 thoughts on “Six Reasons why Job Applicant’s get Rejected”
Hi….i am liaqat Ali i have applied before for this post and i got mail today 23 april…what i do now?i dont know about the process so what to do
That is really great to know about the common mistakes
This is very informative for those who are at initial level of their career and will be very helpful for improving the chances in interviews. Kindly design something for those professionals who are experienced and fall in mid-career level. I agree with the point that Universities should provide proper guidance to students before they completes their studies.
Noted Mr. Kaleem. We will surely write blog on it. Thanks for the suggestion and do share this blog with your fellow colleagues.
Location in Islamabad requirement.
Many thanks for detail info. Really, very informative..
Comments are closed.